CCMAR/BINCGAM/11/2022 - Research Fellowship for a person with a Master Degree
Research Fellowship – 1 vacancy
Within the project – LittleFish
Projeto N.º 541718158
Ref. ª: CCMAR/BINCGAM/11/2022
The Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens one (01) Research Fellowship for a person with a Master Degree (Bolsa de Investigação não conducente à obtenção de grau académico para mestre), for applicants of any nationality, including stateless candidates, and holders of political refugee statute, in the scientific field of Biological Sciences within the research project number 541718158 - named as “LittleFish-STP - São Tome and Príncipe little fish threatened - a big opportunity to unravel this fishery resource in tropical islands.” funded by Aga Khan, Network for Development and the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P. under the following conditions:
Host and Contracting Institution: CCMAR
This fellowship is intended for master’s degree holders that are enrolled in a non-academic degree course, integrated in the educational project of a higher education institution and developed in association or cooperation with one or more R&D units at the starting date of the fellowship.
Work Plan, Tasks to perform and objectives:
The LittleFish project will study the ecology and biology of ‘peixinho’ (Sicydium bustamantei Greeff, 1884), an endemic and economically exploited fish species in São Tomé e Príncipe.
Specifically, the fellowship holder will be involved in the following tasks and objectives:
- Provide support in zooplankton, benthic macrofauna, fish, and algae species sampling, and sample processing.
- Taxonomic identification and processing of zooplankton, benthic macrofauna, fish, and algae species.
- Prepare samples and procedures for biochemical analyses: stable isotopic, ecophysiological condition (RNA:DNA) and genetic analyses
- Contribute to the general lab maintenance.
- Participate in the data analyses [statistical and geographic information system (GIS)].
- Participate in the development of reports, scientific papers, dissemination actions.
Dr. Vânia Baptista, coordinator of the project and researcher at CCMAR.
The workplace is CCMAR (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Faro, Portugal) and other places necessary for the execution of the work plan. Some field work in São Tomé e Príncipe is expected.
Requirements for the application:
Applicants must meet all the conditions stated below:
- Master’s Degree in Biology, Ecology, Marine Biology and/or Ecology, Fisheries, Marine Sciences or related biological sciences field.
- Research capability demonstrated through publications, technical reports and presentations at conferences.
- Availability to work outside the normal working hours, on weekends, holidays in accordance with the project needs, namely in field biological surveys – handling, preservation and identification of marine fauna within the specific project objectives.
- Ability to work in team, stimulating a good working environment and ability to develop project tasks as requested by the researcher responsible for the project (supervisor).
- Strong skills in Portuguese and English languages (both spoken and written).
- Strong communication skills.
- Availability to travel to São Tomé e Príncipe (demonstrated in writing in the motivation letter).
- Driver license.
- This fellowship may only be granted to those who do not exceed, with the conclusion of the present fellowship contract, an accumulated period of two years in this type of fellowship, consecutive or otherwise, to be confirmed through the candidate’s CV.
Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure.
It is considered as an advantage:
It is desirable that the applicants have experience in (as demonstrated in their Curriculum Vitae):
- Zooplankton, benthic macrofauna, fish, and algae species sampling, and sample processing.
- Taxonomic identification and processing of zooplankton, benthic macrofauna, fish, and algae species.
In the event of a tie between candidates during the selection process, this argument may be used to select the candidates.
Through the analysis of the application documents the evaluation criteria for the applications and their relative weight for ranking are as follows:
- CV, including scientific production record (35%)
- Sampling, samples processing and taxonomic identification of zooplankton, benthic macrofauna, fish, and algae species (35%)
- Experience in biochemical analyses (10%)
- Fluency in Portuguese and English, with good communication skills (oral and written) (10%)
- Statistics and geographic information system (GIS) knowledge (10%)
The selection committee reserves the right to contact and interview candidates if additional information or clarification of any curricular aspect is necessary. If required, an interview may be requested to evaluate and verify in more detail the criteria (above) used to grade the candidate.
In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or later during the contract if they resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions based on the selectable reservation list that can be used up to 6 months of the date of the present announcement.
Fellowship conditions: The fellowship will have a duration of 6 months, expected to start from June 2022 eventually renewed for a 6 months period up to the maximum of 12 months. The fellowship must be carried out full-time (exclusive regime), according to the FCT Fellowship Rules (RBI) and the CCMAR fellowship rules (see here), which are based on the Portuguese law 40/2004, of 18 of August (Scientific Research Fellowship holder statutes) amended by the Decree-Law 123/2019 of 28 of August. A maintenance allowance of 1144.64€ will be paid monthly, through bank transfer, and will be updated as stipulated by the Foundation for Science and Technology (see here https://bit.ly/2ZcxUGJ).
Application period: from 22th of April to 10th of May 2022 at 23:59 (Lisbon time, Portugal).
Application process and mandatory documents:
Complete applications must be submitted online at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job and must include:
- a motivation letter (in English or Portuguese);
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae (in English or Portuguese);
- the declaration of honour, available from the application platform, declaring the intention to enrol in a non-academic degree course, integrated in the educational project of a higher education institution and developed in association or cooperation with one or more R&D unit, if the candidate is selected for the position;
- a copy of the Master’s degree certificate (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the Master’s degree by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University);
- the complete declaration of honour available from the application platform, if they are unable at the time of application, to provide a copy of the Master’s degree certificate (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the Master’s degree (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University), as indicated above;
- the email contact of up to 3 referees.
Non-compliance with these documents/information determines the immediate rejection of the application.
Results and Preliminary Hearing: The admission and evaluation results will be communicated by email within 90 working days after the application deadline. After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision.
Candidates holding degrees awarded by a foreign university should have their degree recognized in Portugal no later than the date indicated in the communication of selection for the position. Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure. Information about the recognition procedures can be obtained at any Portuguese public higher education institution or by Directorate General for Higher Education – DGES (here https://bit.ly/3afyQQU).
Dr. Vânia Baptista, coordinator of the project and researcher at CCMAR (president of the jury), Professor Maria Alexandra Anica Teodósio, Vice- Rector at Algarve University, team leader and researcher at CCMAR (member) and Professor Joana Cruz, Professor at Algarve University, and researcher at CCMAR (member).
After the candidate is selected and for the hiring purpose the following documentation/information will be requested:
- proof of the enrolment (Comprovativo de inscrição/matricula) from the Academic Services in a non-academic degree course (in accordance with the declaration on honour).
- If applicable, copy of the master’s degree (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution).
- If applicable, certificate of recognition of the master’s degree by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University).
- Declaration of commitment stating the exclusivity regime.
- Civil, fiscal and social security Identification (if applicable)
- Account Number – IBAN
- Ciência ID: https://www.ciencia-id.pt/CienciaID/HomePage.aspx
- If applicable, a statement from the candidate saying that does not exceed, with the conclusion of the present fellowship contract, an accumulated period of two years in this type of fellowship, consecutive or otherwise.
-Proof of country of residence, residence authorization, or other document legally equivalent, if applicable, in force at the time of fellowship start date.
Fellowship Agreement model
After the candidate selection and all information is received, it will be signed a fellowship agreement in accordance with the model here
Fellowship holder Assessment
At the end of each period of duration of the fellowship contract, the activity developed by the fellowship holder will be evaluated by the supervisor, by applying the following criteria, in accordance with the model below.
Criteria 1 – Compliance with the activity plan (40%)
Criteria 2 – Technical and scientific performance (40%)
Criteria 3 – Commitment, responsibility and assiduity (20%)
Supervisor report model here
Fellowship holder report
By the end of each fellowship period the fellowship holder must present a report. You can find the fellowship holder final report model here
The board of Directors reserves the right, due to a change in circumstances at the date of the present announcement, to cancel the present call without any recruitment.
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal ranking, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
Faro, 12th April 2022