CCMAR/BINCGAM/20/2022 - Research Fellowship for a person with a Master Degree
Research Fellowship – 1 vacancy
Within the project - EXPL/BTM-TEC/0990/2021
Ref. ª: CCMAR/BINCGAM/20/2022
The Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens one (01) Research Fellowship for a person with a Master Degree (Bolsa de Investigação não conducente à obtenção de grau académico para mestre), for applicants of any nationality, including stateless candidates, and holders of political refugee statute, in the scientific field of Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Biology within the research project: FlameGRP
“Exploring the therapeutic application of Gla-rich protein (GRP) in inflammation-related diseases using natural bioengineered nanovesicles” reference EXPL/BTM-TEC/0990/2021 funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P./MCTES through national funding (PIDDAC) under the following conditions:
Host and Contracting Institution: CCMAR
This fellowship is intended for Master’s Degree holders that are enrolled in a non-academic degree course, integrated in the educational project of a higher education institution and developed in association or cooperation with one or more R&D units at the starting date of the fellowship.
Work Plan, Tasks to perform and objectives:
The FlameGRP project aims to explore the potential therapeutic application of extracellular vesicles (EVs) loaded with human Gla-Rich Protein (GRP) (GRP-EVs) in several physiological/pathological processes, relevant in a context of many chronic inflammatory diseases, cardiovascular diseases and atherosclerosis, articular diseases and COVID-19, using in vitro cell models.
Specifically, the fellow will be involved in the following tasks and objectives:
- Preparation and maintenance of primary human-derived cell cultures and cell lines (required in tasks 3, 4 and 5);
- Performing cell culture functional assays for inflammation, phagocytic and calcification bioactivities;
- Phenotypic, molecular and cellular characterization using different techniques such as RNA extraction, gene expression analysis by quantitative RT-PCR, flow cytometry, immunochemical techniques such as SDS-PAGE, Western blot and ELISA (required in tasks 3, 4 and 5).
- Isolation of extracellular vesicles using differential ultracentrifugation and size exclusion chromatography;
- General participation on the technical and bureaucratic management of the laboratory;
- Preparing reports on the work developed.
Assistant researcher Carla Viegas, coordinator of the project and researcher at CCMAR and Professor Dina Simes, Professor at UALG and group leader at CCMAR.
The workplace is CCMAR (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Faro, Portugal).
Requirements for the application:
Applicants must meet all the conditions stated below:
- Holder of a Master Degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedical Sciences or related areas;
- Immediate availability and high motivation;
- Relevant experience in cellular, molecular, and biochemistry techniques.
- This fellowship may only be granted to those who do not exceed, with the conclusion of the present fellowship contract, an accumulated period of two years in this type of fellowship, consecutive or otherwise, to be confirmed through the candidate’s CV.
Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure.
Through the analysis of the application documents the evaluation criteria for the applications and their relative weight for ranking are as follows:
- Weighted average of the Bachelor and of the Master Degree final classification (30%)
- Curricula evaluation (15%)
- Previous cell culture experience (15%)
- Previous experience in molecular biology techniques (15%)
- Previous experience in extracellular vesicles (10%)
- Previous experience in immune-based techniques (10%)
- Knowledge of written and spoken English (5%)
If the classification of the Portuguese diplomas is just qualitative, the jury reserves the right to apply the following conversion table:
Very Good with Distinction/With Distinction and Praise/Magna Cum Laude/Summa Cum Laude
Very Good/Passed with Distinction/Good with Distinction/Cum Laude
The selection committee reserves the right to contact and interview candidates if additional information or clarification of any curricular aspect is necessary. In case it takes place, the interview aims to evaluate in more detail the curricular items used to grade the candidate according to the list above.
In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or later during the contract if they resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions based on the selectable reservation list that can be used up to 06 months of the date of the present announcement.
Fellowship conditions: The fellowship will have a duration of 9 months, eventually renewed for 1-month periods up to a maximum of 12 months, and is expected to start from September 2022. The fellowship must be carried out under an exclusivity regimen, according to the FCT Fellowship Regulation (RBI) and of the CCMAR fellowship regulations (see here) based on the Portuguese law 40/2004, of 18 of August (Scientific Research Fellowship holder statutes) amended by the Decree-Law 123/2019 of 28 of August. A maintenance allowance of 1144.64€ will be paid monthly, through bank transfer, and will be updated as stipulated by the Foundation for Science and Technology (see here https://bit.ly/2ZcxUGJ).
Application period: from 02th of June 2022 to 20th of June 2022 at 23:59 (Lisbon time, Portugal)
Application process and mandatory documents:
Complete applications must be submitted online at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job and must include, at risk of exclusion, the following documents:
- a motivation letter (in English);
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae (in English);
- the declaration of honour available from the application platform, declaring the intention to enrol in a non-academic degree course, integrated in the educational project of a higher education institution and developed in association or cooperation with one or more R&D unit, if the candidate is selected for the position;
- a copy of the Bachelor degree Certificate with the final classification (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the Bachelor degree with the final classification in the Portuguese scale by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University).
- the complete declaration of honour available from the application platform, if they are unable at the time of application, to provide a copy of the Bachelor Degree certificate with the final classification (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the Bachelor Degree (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University) with the final classification in the Portuguese scale, as indicated above;
- a copy of the Master degree Certificate with the final classification (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the Master degree with the final classification in the Portuguese scale by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University).
- the complete declaration of honour available from the application platform, if they are unable at the time of application, to provide a copy of the Master degree certificate with the final classification (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the Master degree (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University) with the final classification in the Portuguese scale, as indicated above;
- the email contact of up to 3 referees.
Non-compliance with these documents/information determines the immediate rejection of the application.
Results and Preliminary Hearing: The admission and evaluation results will be communicated by email within 90 working days after the application deadline. After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision.
Candidates holding degrees awarded by a foreign university should have their degree recognized in Portugal no later than the date indicated in the communication of selection for the position. Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure. Information about the recognition procedures can be obtained at any Portuguese public higher education institution or by Directorate General for Higher Education – DGES (here https://bit.ly/3afyQQU). CCMAR Board of Directors reserves the right to extend the aforementioned period, at the request of the candidate and if it does not negatively impact the fulfillment of the work plan.
Selection Committee: Assistant Researcher Carla Viegas, coordinator of the project and researcher at CCMAR/UALG (president); Professor Dina Simes, Professor at UALG and group leader at UALG/CCMAR (member) and Professor Luisa Barreira, Professor at UALG and researcher at UALG/CCMAR (member).
After the candidate is selected and for the hiring purpose the following documentation/information will be requested:
- proof of the enrolment (Certidão de inscrição/matricula) from the Academic Services in a non-academic degree course (in accordance with the declaration on honour).
- If applicable, copy of the bachelor degree and/or of master degree (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) with the final classification
- If applicable, certificate of recognition of the bachelor degree and/or of the master degree by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University) withteh final classification in the Portuguese scale
- Declaration of commitment stating the exclusivity regime.
- Civil, fiscal and social security Identification (if applicable)
- Account Number – IBAN
- Ciência ID: https://www.ciencia-id.pt/CienciaID/HomePage.aspx
- If applicable, a statement from the candidate saying that does not exceed, with the conclusion of the present fellowship contract, an accumulated period of two years in this type of fellowship, consecutive or otherwise.
- Proof of country of residence, residence authorization, or other document legally equivalent, if applicable, in force at the time of fellowship start date.
Fellowship Agreement model
After the candidate selection and all information is received, it will be signed a fellowship agreement in accordance with the model here
Fellowship holder Assessment
At the end of each period of duration of the fellowship contract, the activity developed by the fellowship holder will be evaluated by the supervisor, by applying the following criteria, in accordance with the model below.
1 – Compliance with the activity plan (50%)
2- Technical and scientific performance (30%)
3- Assiduity, commitment and responsibility (20%)
Supervisor report model here
Fellowship holder report
By the end of each fellowship period the fellowship holder must present a report. You can find the fellowship holder final report model here
The board of Directors reserves the right, due to a change in circumstances at the date of the present announcement, to cancel the present call without any recruitment.
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal ranking, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
Faro, May 30th 2022