CCMAR/BINCGAM/34/2022 - Research Fellowship for a person with a Master Degree
Research Fellowship – 1 vacancy
Within the project –STRAITS
Ref. ª: CCMAR/BINCGAM/34/2022
The Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens one (01) Research Fellowship (BI) for a person with a Master Degree (Bolsa de Investigação não conducente à obtenção de grau académico para mestre), of any nationality, including stateless candidates, and holders of political refugee statute, in the scientific field of Biological Sciences through own revenues (Receitas Próprias) and the research project: Strategic Infrastructure for improved animal Tracking in European Seas - HORIZON-INFRA-2022-DEV-01-01-101094649, funded by the European Union under the following conditions:
Host and Contracting Institution: CCMAR
This fellowship is intended for master’s degree holders that are enrolled in a non-academic degree course, integrated in the educational project of a higher education institution, and developed in association or cooperation with one or more R&D units at the starting date of the fellowship.
Work Plan, Tasks to perform and objectives:
The STRAITS (Strategic Infrastructure for improved animal Tracking in European Seas) project will leverage ongoing acoustic tracking projects across the four corners of Europe by expanding efforts to connect initiatives on species-based biodiversity management while developing data management plans and networking channels to deliver data to national and international governing bodies. This project will develop a European-wide network of acoustic receivers, which is the next step towards a European-wide marine observation network.
Specifically, the fellowship holder will be involved in the following tasks and objectives:
- Identification of the best locations to deploy acoustic receivers, in the Algarve, following a cross-shore line between 20 and 120m deep.
- Planning, preparing (moorings, cables, etc), and deployment of acoustic receivers.
- Maintenance including cleaning, data download, mooring and battery replacement of the acoustic receivers comprising CCMAR’s array.
- Maintenance of the acoustic telemetry detections database including uploading to the ETN database.
- Preliminary data analysis.
- Writing reports.
Doctor David Abecasis, researcher at UALG and CCMAR and coordinator of the project at CCMAR.
The workplace is CCMAR (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Faro, Portugal) with field work.
Requirements for the application:
Applicants must meet all the conditions stated below:
- Holding a master’s in Marine Biology, Marine Resource Management, or related fields.
- Diver certification and experience,
- Driver’s license,
- Skipper’s license.
Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure.
It is considered as an advantage:
Experience with acoustic telemetry (equipment deployment and maintenance, data management, data analysis) is a plus.
In the event of a tie between candidates during the selection process, this argument may be used to select the candidates.
Through the analysis of the application documents the evaluation criteria for the applications and their relative weight for ranking are as follows:
- CV including publication record (50%)
- Diving experience (20%)
- Experience with GIS (e.g., QGIS, ArcGIS) and acoustic telemetry (20%)
- Fluency in spoken and written English (10%)
The selection committee reserves the right to contact and interview candidates if additional information or clarification of any curricular aspect is necessary. Should candidates be invited to an interview, the aim will be to assess in more detail and obtain further information about activities used to rank candidates (points 1 – 4 of the evaluation criteria).
In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or later during the contract if they resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions based on the selectable reservation list that can be used up to 6 months of the date of the present announcement.
Fellowship conditions: The fellowship will have a duration of 06 months, eventually renewed for additional periods up to a maximum of 12 months and with a provisional start date of April 2023. The fellowship must be carried out under an exclusivity regimen, according to the FCT Fellowship Regulation (RBI) and of the CCMAR fellowship regulations (see here) based on the Portuguese law 40/2004, of 18 of August (Scientific Research Fellowship holder statutes) amended by the Decree-Law 123/2019 of 28 of August. A maintenance allowance of 1144.64€ will be paid monthly, through bank transfer, and will be updated as stipulated by the Foundation for Science and Technology (see here https://bit.ly/2ZcxUGJ).
Application period: from 20th of December 2022 to 03rd of January 2023 at 23:59 (Lisbon time, Portugal).
Application process and mandatory documents:
Complete applications must be submitted online at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job and must include:
- a motivation letter (in English);
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae (in English);
- the declaration of honour, available from the application platform, declaring the intention to enrol in a non-academic degree course, integrated in the educational project of a higher education institution and developed in association or cooperation with one or more R&D unit, if the candidate is selected for the position;
- the email contact of up to 3 referees.
- a copy of the Master degree Certificate (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the Master degree by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University).
- the complete declaration of honour, available from the application platform, if they are unable at the time of application, to provide a copy of the Master degree certificate (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the Master degree (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University), as indicated above;
Non-compliance with these documents/information determines the immediate rejection of the application.
Results and Preliminary Hearing: The admission and evaluation results will be communicated by email within 90 working days after the application deadline. After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision.
Candidates holding degrees awarded by a foreign university should have their degree recognized in Portugal no later than the date indicated in the communication of selection for the position. Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure. Information about the recognition procedures can be obtained at any Portuguese public higher education institution or by Directorate General for Higher Education – DGES (here https://bit.ly/3afyQQU).
Selection Committee: Doctor David Abecasis, researcher at UALG and CCMAR and coordinator of the project at CCMAR (President); Doctor Bárbara Horta e Costa, researcher at UALG and CCMAR (member) and Doctor Jorge Assis, researcher at UALG and CCMAR (Member).
After the candidate is selected and for the hiring purpose the following documentation/information will be requested:
- proof of the enrolment (Certidão de inscrição/matricula) from the Academic Services in a non-academic degree course (in accordance with the declaration on honour).
- If applicable, copy of the master degree (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution).
- If applicable, certificate of recognition of the master degree by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University) .
- Declaration of commitment stating the exclusivity regime.
- Civil, fiscal and social security Identification (if applicable)
- Account Number – IBAN
- Ciência ID: https://www.ciencia-id.pt/CienciaID/HomePage.aspx
- If applicable, a statement from the candidate saying that does not exceed, with the conclusion of the present fellowship contract, an accumulated period of two years in this type of fellowship, consecutive or otherwise.
- Proof of country of residence, residence authorization, or other document legally equivalent, if applicable, in force at the time of fellowship start date.
Fellowship Agreement model
After the candidate selection and all information is received, it will be signed a fellowship agreement in accordance with the model here
Fellowship holder Assessment
At the end of each period of duration of the fellowship contract, the activity developed by the fellowship holder will be evaluated by the supervisor, by applying the following criteria, in accordance with the model below.
- Capacity to work independently – 25%
- Capacity to work as a team member -25%
- Organizational skills (e.g., prioritization skills, strategic thinking and planning, time management, effective communication) -50%
Supervisor report model here
Fellowship holder report
By the end of each fellowship period the fellowship holder must present a report. You can find the fellowship holder final report model here
The present call is pending the conclusion of the agreement with the funding agency and the project partners, for this reason the selection panel and the CCMAR Board of Directors reserve the right to cancel this recruitment process in case of any restriction related to the aforementioned entities.
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal ranking, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
Faro, December the 13th, 2022