CCMAR/BM/31/2022 - Bolsa de Mestrado
Master’s Fellowship – 1 vacancy
Within the project – Physpath-KS
Project number: EJPRD/0004/2019
Ref. ª: CCMAR/BM/31/2022
The Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens one (01) Master's Fellowship (Bolsa de Mestrado) for a person with a Bachelor degree, of any nationality, including stateless candidates, and holders of political refugee statute, in the scientific field of Biomedical Sciences or related areas, within the research project: EJPRD19-290/PhysPath-KS – “Understanding the pathophysiology of Keutel syndrome: A path towards cure” reference EJPRD/0004/2020 funded by the European Joint Programme on Rare Diseases and by the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), and associated projects, under the following conditions:
Host and Contracting Institution: CCMAR
This fellowship is intended for R&D activities, by a student with a bachelor degree enrolled in a Master's Degree in the field of biomedical sciences or related areas at the beginning of the fellowship, with a view to consolidating his/her scientific training, through the development of research work leading to the achievement of a Master's degree.
Work Plan, Tasks to perform and objectives:
The PhysPath-KS project is focused on the study of the molecular mechanisms and gene pathways involved in the development of Keutel syndrome, using in vitro and in vivo approaches.
Specifically, the fellowship holder will be involved in the following tasks and objectives:
- Contribution to maintenance of zebrafish facilities.
- Histological and morphological analysis of zebrafish structures.
- Molecular biology techniques applied to identification of sites of expression of genes of interest associated to zebrafish development in WT and mutant fish specimens.
- Immunolocalization of sites of specific protein accumulation in zebrafish specimens.
Professor Leonor Cancela, Coordinator of the project and researcher at CCMAR.
Doctor Márcio Simão, researcher at CCMAR and invited assistant professor at UALG.
The work will be developed at CCMAR.
Requirements for the application:
Candidates must meet all the following requirements:
- The candidate must hold a bachelor degree (licenciatura) in Biomedical Sciences or similar with a final evaluation of at least 15/20.
- The candidate must agree to enrol, if not already enrolled, in a master’s degree at the beginning of the fellowship.
Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure.
Through the analysis of the application documents the evaluation criteria for the applications and their relative weight for ranking are as follows:
1. Final evaluation of bachelor degree in Biomedical Sciences or related fields (35%)
2. Previous effective experience in work with zebrafish in laboratory environment (40%)
3. Proved experience in molecular biology techniques (25%)
The selection committee reserves the right to contact and interview candidates if additional information or clarification of any curricular aspect is necessary. Should an interview be requested, it will be used to evaluate in more detail the curricular items used to grade the candidate under the criteria listed above.
In the eventuality that no applicant has the necessary profile, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or later during the contract if they resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the position to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions based on the selectable list that can be used up to 06 months after the date of the present announcement.
Fellowship conditions: The fellowship will have a duration of 06 months, expected to start from November 2022 eventually renewed for periods of 06 months, or until the end of the project, never exceeding a total maximum of 24 months. The fellowship must be carried out under an exclusivity regimen, according to the FCT Fellowship Regulation (RBI) and of the CCMAR fellowship regulations (see here) based on the Portuguese law 40/2004, of 18 of August (Scientific Research Fellowship holder statutes) amended by the Decree-Law 123/2019 of 28 of August. A maintenance allowance of 875.98€ will be paid monthly, through bank transfer, and will be updated as stipulated by the Foundation for Science and Technology (see here https://bit.ly/2ZcxUGJ).
Application period: from 21th September 2022 to 06th October 2022 at 23:59 (Lisbon time, Portugal).
Application process and mandatory documents:
Complete applications must be submitted online at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job and must include, at risk of exclusion, the following documents:
- a motivation letter in English;
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae in English;
- the email contact of up to 3 referees.
- a copy of the Bachelor degree Certificate with the final classification (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the bachelor degree with the conversion of the final classification in the Portuguese scale by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University);
- the complete declaration of honour available from the application platform, if they are unable at the time of application, to provide a copy of the bachelor degree certificate with the final classification (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the bachelor degree with the conversion of the final classification in the Portuguese scale (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University), as indicated above;
Non-compliance with these documents/information determines the immediate rejection of the application.
Results and Preliminary Hearing: The admission and evaluation results will be communicated by email within 90 working days after the application deadline. After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision.
Candidates holding degrees awarded by a foreign university should have their degree recognized in Portugal no later than the date indicated in the communication of selection for the position. Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure. Information about the recognition procedures can be obtained at any Portuguese public higher education institution or by Directorate General for Higher Education – DGES (here https://bit.ly/3afyQQU). The CCMAR board of Directors reserves the right to extend the above mentioned period, after request from the selected applicant, and as long as it does not cause a negative impact the working plan.
Professor Leonor Cancela, Full Professor at UALG, Coordinator of the project and researcher at CCMAR (president of the jury), Professor Paulo Gavaia, researcher at CCMAR (member); and Doctor Márcio Simão researcher at CCMAR (member), Professor Natércia Conceição, , researcher at CCMAR (substitute member).
After the candidate is selected and for the hiring purpose the following documentation/information will be requested:
- proof of the enrolment (Recibo de inscrição/matricula) from the Academic Services in a master degree course.
- If applicable, copy of the bachelor degree with the final classification (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution).
- If applicable, certificate of recognition of the bachelor degree with the conversion of the final classification in the Portuguese scale by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University).
- Declaration of commitment stating the exclusivity regime.
- Civil, fiscal and social security Identification (if applicable).
- Account Number – IBAN
- Ciência ID: https://www.ciencia-id.pt/CienciaID/HomePage.aspx
- Proof of country of residence, residence authorization, or other document legally equivalent, if applicable, in force at the time of fellowship start date.
Fellowship Agreement model
After the candidate selection and all information is received, it will be signed a fellowship agreement in accordance with the model here
Fellowship holder Assessment
At the end of each period of duration of the fellowship contract, the activity developed by the grant-holder will be evaluated by the supervisors, by applying the following criteria, in accordance with the model below using the following scale:
Criteria 1 – Level of participation in the tasks defined in the research project funding the fellowship (75%)
Criteria 2 – Effective collaboration in the tasks of maintenance of the fish colonies associated to the projet (25%)
Supervisor report model here
Fellowship holder report
By the end of each fellowship period, the fellowship holder must present a report. You can find the fellowship holder final report model here
The board of Directors reserves the right, due to a change in circumstances at the date of the present announcement, to cancel the present call without any recruitment.
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal ranking, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.