R FOR ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS (7th EDITION)
R is a powerful statistical computing language, widely used among scientists for quick and reproducible data analysis. Its main advantages are:
- the fact that it runs easily on all computer platforms
- there are many biologyrelated packages deposited in freely available repositories, such as Bioconductor.
The course is equivalent to 1 European ECTS credits.
The workshop will be divided into 2 full day sessions. It will gently introduce you to the R language, using RStudio as the development platform, and will cover some basic graphical functions and elementary descriptive statistics. The whole workshop will be hands-on oriented. Participants taking the optional final exam get a certificate with evaluation.
Session I - 27 May 2019 | 10 - 18h
Syntax and Data Structures in R
- Online sources of information about R;
- Packages, documentation and help;
- Basics and syntax of R;
- Main R data structures: vectors, matrices, data frames, lists and factors;
- Brief intro to R control-flow via loops and conditionals.
Session II - 28 May 2019 | 10 - 18h
Summary Statistics and Graphics in R
- Calculate the most commonly used Summary Statistics (or Descriptive Statistics) measures, namely, the maximum, minimum, mean, median, mode, standard deviation and variance;
- Data visualization, i.e., using R to graphically explore datasets, using basic plotting functions
No prior R knowledge is required, but bring your own laptop with RStudio installed.
UAlg - Gambelas Campus, Building 1, Room 1.63
Course and coffee-break