CCMAR/BINCGA/02/2021 - Research Fellowship for a person with a Master Degree
Research Fellowship – 1 vacancy
Within the project - MAR-01.03.01-FEAMP-0050
Ref. ª: CCMAR/BINCGA/02/2021
The Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens a Research Fellowship for a person with a Master Degree (Bolsa de Investigação não conducente à obtenção de grau académico para mestre) within the research project: “Aplicação de Tecnologias Inovadoras e Sustentáveis de Processamento e de Monitorização de Qualidade de Produtos Alimentares do Mar” reference MAR-01.03.01-FEAMP-0050 cofunded by the Operational Programme Mar 2020, Portugal 2020 and the Europen Union through the European Fund for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries under the following conditions:
Work Plan and Tasks to perform:
The SEAFOODQual project will study the application of innovative and sustainable technologies of processing and quality monitoring of sea food products, aiming to extending shelf-life and improving seafood product quality and safety.
Specifically, the fellowship holder will be involved in the following tasks:
1. Take an active role in the working group and be responsible for the assigned tasks of the project.
2. The BI fellow will be responsible, together with other members of the project team, for the execution of the following tasks:
a) Development and validation of novel protein biomarkers for seafood (fish and shellfish) quality and safety monitoring, through proteomics technology (ex: SWATH quantitative proteomic analysis and data analysis) and application of protein related immuno-techniques;
b) Commercial on-site monitoring of sea food products and the cold chain management controlled by Smart labels, using quality and safety protein biomarkers coupled to protein related immuno-techniques;
c) Activities of technology/knowledge transfer and outreach in the context of the project objectives;
3. Execute proteomics analysis activities, mainly sample preparation and metadata analysis and management and preparation of scientific activity reports for proteomic projects targeting the biomarkers.
4. Support the activities of validation and implementation of protein biomarkers for seafood quality and safety monitoring through procedures in molecular biology applied to protein analysis (extraction, quantification, gel electrophoresis and purification by chromatography and others) and also immunoassays (western blot, immunohistochemistry, ELISA).
5. Develop activity reports, collaborate in the development of protocols of standard operating procedures in the context of the project and be responsible for rigorous sample management.
6. Collaborate in writing scientific articles and participate in other scientific dissemination events and outreach (Task 3.4).
7. Support the technical training of students, internships and other research fellows included in the project team.
8. Provide general support related to the research project in the operation of the platform of recombinant proteins and biosensors (ProtMar) at CCMAR, where the project is based.
9. Update relevant professional skills to support research excellence.
10. Availability to travel to collaborating institutions in Europe (Agricultural University of Athens, Greece and Athlone Institute of Technology, Ireland).
Dr. Liliana Anjos Guerreiro (auxiliary researcher) at UALG/CCMar and Professor Dr. Deborah Power (group leader and full professor) at UALG/CCMar
The workplace is CCMAR (Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Faro, Portugal), specifically the ProtMar protein and biosensor platform, Lab 3.30 and 3.33 Edf.8.
Requirements for the application:
This fellowship is intended for Master’s Degree holders that at the starting date of the fellowship is enrolled in a non-academic degree course, integrated in the educational project of a higher education institution and developed in association or cooperation with one or more R&D units and meet cumulatively the conditions stated below:
1. Bachelor Degree in Biochemestry, Biotechnology, biology or related fields.
2. Master Degree in Biochemestry, Biotechnolog, Molecular Biology, Biology or related fields.
3. Good knowledge of spoken and written English.
Preference will be given to applicants with experience in the following research techniques: 1) Proteomic analysis and bioinformatic related tools – quantitative proteomics, sample preparation, management and analysis of metadata, experience in software and bioinformatics tools for protein analysis (database research and sequence analysis, differential expression, enrichment, functional / structural characterization), good knowledge of Excel and statistical analysis software; 2) Applied methods of protein analysis - extraction and solubilization, quantification, electrophoresis in gel-SDS-PAGE, purification by chromatography and biophysical methods; 3) Immunoassays - Western blot, dot blot, immunohistochemistry, ELISA.
The evaluation criteria for the applications and their relative weight for ranking are as follows:
1. Average of the academic grades (bachelor and master degree) - 25%;
2. Proven experience in proteomics analysis and bioinformatics applied to proteomics - 20%;
3. Proven experience in protein analysis techniques - 20%;
4. Experience in imunoassays - 20%;
5. Work experience in a scientific research laboratory - 10%;
6. Published scientific articles in the field of knowledge - 5%.
The Selection Committee reserves the right to contact or interview applicants if further information or clarification about their application is required.
In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, the Selection Committee reserves the right to close the call without recruitment. If the selected candidate does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or if later they resign the Selection Committee reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to select applicants from the same call following the position in the ranked list.
Fellowship conditions: The fellowship will have an initial duration of 12 months, expected to start in April 2021. The fellowship must be carried out under an exclusivity regimen, according to the CCMAR fellowship regulations (see here https://bit.ly/3aXyXQu), based on the Portuguese law 40/2004, of 18 of August (Scientific Research Fellowship holder statutes) amended by the Decree-Law 123/2019 of 28 of August. A maintenance allowance of 1104.64€ will be paid monthly, through bank transfer, and will be updated as stipulated by the Foundation for Science and Technology (see here https://bit.ly/2ZcxUGJ).
Application period: from 25th of March to 9th of April 2021.
Applications should be submitted online at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job and include:
⦁ a motivation letter (in English);
⦁ a detailed Curriculum Vitae (in English);
⦁ a declaration, available from the application platform, declaring the intention to enrole in a non-academic degree course, integrated in the educational project of a higher education institution and developed in association or cooperation with one or more R&D unit, if the candidate is selected for the position;
⦁ a copy of the Bachelor degree Certificate with the final classification (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or a copy of the certificate of recognition of the Bachelor degree by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University) with the final classification;
⦁ copy of the Master Degree Certificate with the final classification (if awarded by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution) or copy of the certificate of recognition of the Master Degree by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution or by DGES – Directorate General for Higher Education (if the degree was awarded by a foreign University) with the final classification;
⦁ the declaration available in the application platform if they are unable to provide a copy of the Bachelor certificate and/or Master certificate or of the Bachelor and/or Master certificates of recognition at the time of application, as indicated above;
⦁ the email contact of up to 3 referees.
Results and Preliminary Hearing: The selection results will be communicated by email within 90 working days after the application deadline. After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision.
Candidates holding degrees awarded by a foreign university should have their degree recognized in Portugal no later than the date indicated in the communication of selection for the position. Non-compliance justifies exclusion from the procedure. Information about the recognition procedures can be obtained at any Portuguese public higher education institution or by Directorate General for Higher Education – DGES (here https://bit.ly/3afyQQU).
Dr. Liliana Anjos Guerreiro, auxiliary researcher at UALG/CCMar (president), Professor Dr. Deborah Power group leader and full professor at UALG/CCMar (member), and Dr. Patrícia Pinto researcher at UALG/CCMAR (member).
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal ranking, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
Faro, March the 10th 2021