CCMAR/ITD/20/2021 - Data Scientist (M/F)
Data Scientist (M/F) - 1 VACANCY
The Algarve Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR) opens a call for a Data Scientist – Investigator para Administração de Dados (M/F) under an uncertain term working contract for applicants of any nationality, including stateless candidates for temporary needs and connected activities under project ALG-05-3559-FSE-000020 - Contratação de Recursos Humanos Altamente Qualificados (PME ou CoLAB) funded by European Social Fund (FSE) of the European Union, through CRESC ALGARVE 2020 do Portugal 2020.
About CCMAR: The Algarve Centre of Marine Sciences (CCMAR-Algarve, https://ccmar.ualg.pt/) - is one of the foremost marine science research centres in Portugal, classified Excellent in successive evaluations promoted by the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P, gathering experts in the fields of marine biology, ecology, oceanography, environmental sciences, biotechnology, fisheries and aquaculture. With a multidisciplinary team, well-equipped facilities and laboratories, CCMAR-Algarve develops activities that fall into five different core areas: Research, Training, Business, Society and Collaboration.
Job Summary and Duties:
The Data Scientist will:
- Collaborate with the structures and departments of CCMAR in developing software and IT solutions and contribute to the development of data management policies that optimize internal processes and enhance the offer of technology and knowledge solutions for the Centre.
- Develop and maintain applications and support processes for CCMAR's research infrastructures, and technological and scientific platforms;
- Develop and maintain applications and processes to support service provision and the commercialisation of knowledge and technology;
- Provide bioinformatic support to researchers, including the development of training curricula;
- Engage in national and European research infrastructures for biological data;
- Provide advice and supervision to students (MSc, PhD);
- Obtain external funding and collaborate in collective initiatives of CCMAR.
- Further the development of the CCMAR strategy.
Start date and duration: The contract is expected to start March 2022 for a period no longer than is necessary for the execution of the work plan.
Workplace: The workplace is CCMAR (Gambelas Campus of the University of Algarve, Faro, Portugal).
Work schedule: 35 hours per week.
Salary: Monthly gross salary 3 248.27 euros
Application Period: Between 19 February 2022 and 10th March 2022 at 23:59 (Lisbon time, Portugal).
- The successful candidate will have completed a PhD in computer science and/or computational biology, with demonstrable skills in computer programming and web technologies, and knowledge of data management and Open Science practices, with at least 5 years’ experience in similar functions, and be well-qualified, dynamic, and highly motivated to develop their career in a stimulating international and interdisciplinary environment.
- The candidate should have an excellent curriculum and research capacity demonstrated through publication in internationally recognized journals, project leadership, service provision, invitations to speak at conferences, prizes, as well as the proven capacity to obtain funding in competitive calls.
- A high proficiency in English (spoken and written).
Non-compliance with this requirement invalidates the application. Provision of false documentation will be punished by law.
Selection panel: Professor Adelino Canário, Professor at Algarve University and CCMAR’s President (President), Dr. Cymon Cox (member) and Dr. Gareth Pearson (member).
Application submission process and documents: Only complete applications submitted through the CCMAR website will be considered: https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job. Applications are considered to be correctly submitted only after the candidate has received a confirmation e-mail from CCMAR.
Applications (in English or Portuguese) must include:
- a Motivation Letter.
- Detailed CV (organized in accordance with the requirements, desirable experience and selection criteria).
- a copy of the PhD Certificate.
- Email contacts of up to 3 referees.
- Other documents deemed as relevant for the application.
Applications are correctly submitted only after the candidate has received a confirmation e-mail.
Selection Criteria: The selection will be based on the documents provided, but the selection committee reserves the right to contact and interview candidates if additional information or clarification of any curricular aspect is necessary.
The assessment will be in accordance with the following weighting factors:
- Research and/or development activities, comprising computer programming and web technologies, and knowledge of data management and Open Science practices, coordination and participation in research projects (national/or international), funding obtained, publication and communication of research results, technological development, international collaboration (60%).
- Higher education teaching and supervision, from bachelors to doctoral students (15%).
- Knowledge and technology transfer, including contract research, patenting and other forms of interaction with companies and public services (20%).
- Scientific communication and dissemination (5%)
In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the selected person does not take up the position because of failure to comply with documentary requirements or any other reason, or later during the contract if they resign, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions.
Results: The lists of admitted and excluded candidates, and the final classification list, shall be posted on the CCMAR website at https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job-closed and all candidates will be notified by email.
Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: After notification, candidates have 10 working days to contest the preliminary decision. The final decisions will be announced within 90 days of the application deadline.
Candidates holding degrees awarded by a foreign university should have their degree recognized by a Portuguese higher education institution by the time of contract signing.
Disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during the selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regard to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
The members of the jury approved this announcement on 17 February 2022