Marine station technical staff [M/F] – 1 vacancy - Post Ref.: CCMAR/TSA/01/2018
The Algarve Centre for Marine Science (CCMAR) has:
• 1 (one) vacancy for technical staff (M/F) to satisfy temporary needs under an uncertain term employment contract, in order to support the work carried at the Ramalhete Marine Station and other aquatic organism facilities in the context of the European Marine Biological Resource Centre (EMBRC) and related activities. The working contract will remain in force for the length of the EMBRC.PT (PINFRA/22121/2016) project and the maintenance of its funding.
• 1 (one) vacancy for technical staff (M/F) to satisfy temporary needs under an uncertain term employment contract, in order to support the work carried at the Ramalhete Marine Station and other aquatic organism facilities in the context of UID/MULTI/04326/2013 financed by FCT/MCTES through Portuguese national funding. The working contract will remain in force for the length of the UID/MULTI/04326/2013 project and the maintenance of its funding.
The following conditions apply for both positions:
• Tasks to perform:
o Tasks related to maintenance and growth of organisms, including up keeping of equipment, preparation and provision of feeds, and sanitary control;
o Tasks related to reproduction of young life stages of organisms: maintenance of breeding systems and of food chain, handling and transfer of organisms between tanks;
o Monitoring of environmental conditions and participate in tasks related to the maintenance of fresh and seawater treatment systems;
o Planning and setting up experimental circuits for experiments;
o Cleaning and maintenance of tanks, aquaria, sand filters and pipes;
o As a driver to transport people and materials between the Gambelas Campus and the marine station;
o Eventually other tasks non-specified above but necessary for the functioning of the marine station, aquaria and the successful development of experimental activities.
Salary: Monthly gross salary of 1381.09€.
The candidate should:
1. Have working experience with aquatic organisms or in the aquaculture industry.
2. Be a holder of a B category driving license (with permission to drive in Portugal).
3. Have a Master Degree in a biological sciences or related field relevant to the position.
4. Be physically fit to be able to perform the aforementioned tasks.
5. Be a holder of the mandatory certified authorisation by Direção Geral de Alimentação e Veterinária to perform procedures on animals (article 21º and article 31º through Portuguese Decree-Law no. 113/2013 of August 7) or alternatively obtain the above certified authorization during the first 6 months of the contract at which point in lack of certification the contract will automatically be ceased.
Only applicants that fulfil the required profile will be considered.
• Working contract conditions: uncertain term employment contract starting March 2018. The working contract will have a “resolution clause” in accordance with Article 135 of the Portuguese Labour Code Law.
• Working Schedule: 35 hours weekly, and the possibility to work at weekends as needed.
• Working Place: Ramalhete Experimental Field Station (near Faro airport), and the Gambelas Campus of the Algarve University, Portugal.
• Application submission and documents: Applications should be submitted directly to the CCMAR website https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/list/job (only applications submitted directly at the CCMAR website will be considered). You should consider your application as correctly submitted only after receiving an email confirmation from CCMAR. Application should include an indication of the position you are applying for (EMBRC.PT| UID/MULTI/04326/2013|BOTH) a Motivation Letter, copy of the certified authorisation by Direção Geral de Alimentação e Veterinária to perform procedures on animals, or alternatively a statement committing to obtain the certified authorization within the first 6 months of contract, BSc. and Master Degree certificates, Detailed CV and e-mail contacts of up to 3 professional referees.
• Application Period: between 30 of January and 14 of February 2018
• Selection Committee: Adelino Canário, President of the Directive Board (President), Juan Fuentes, senior researcher at CCMAR (member) and João Reis, Station manager (member).
• Selection: The selection will be based on the documents provided. Eventually a reduced number of the best classified in the documents analysis may be interviewed. The committee will give specially consideration to the applicants demonstrated working experience with aquatic organisms and aquaculture, previous active role in the planning and construction of maintenance systems for aquatic organisms and the level of training in animal experimentation/welfare.
The selection committee will exercise the right to contact and interview candidates should it require further information or clarification about their application. In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, or the funding conditions have significantly changed since the announcement of this position, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the contract holder should resign during the contract, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions.
• Results: The decision of the selection committee will be communicated in writing. There will be a final results list for the position under EMBRC.PT funding and a final results list for the position under UID/MULTI/04326/2013 funding.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.
January 26th 2017