Scientist - analytical services unit [M/F] – 1 vacancy (Post Ref.: CCMAR/SASU/03/2017)
The Algarve Centre for Marine Science (CCMAR) has vacancy for a scientist (M/F) to satisfy temporary needs under an uncertain term employment contract, in order to lead the analytical services unit of the European Marine Biological Resource Centre (EMBRC) and related activities. The EMBRC is a distributed research infrastructure that aims to provide a strategic delivery mechanism for excellent and large-scale marine science in Europe. With its services, EMBRC will support both fundamental and applied research based on marine bioresources and marine ecosystems.
The head of the analytical services unit will work in an international environment and will coordinate, manage and develop the analytical services platform reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director and the EMBRC programme Manager.
- Manage and develop the analytical services platform, ensuring compliance to good practice and client expectations.
- Purchase and install equipment for analytical chemistry and related services.
- Standardize protocols for the services of the analytical chemistry platform, including the most common analysis for external services.
- Provide expert guidance to the team in relevant analytical techniques.
- Ensure the unit can provide relevant expertise in the latest analytical techniques.
- Liaise with clients, ensuring effective project management and where necessary conduct client audits to ensure successful relationships.
- Coordinate the technical staff in charge of analytical services equipment.
- Write proposals for funding and collaboration with relevant partners.
- Write the EMBRC annual reports and auditing requests.
- Assure the functioning of the analytical services unit, including maintenance of equipment, safety and emergency measures, disposal measures, chemical safety.
- Propose, develop and implement the CCMAR-EMBRC service offer of analytical services and participate in relevant national, European and international initiatives.
Salary: Monthly gross salary of approximately 2700 €.
- PhD in a life science, pharmaceutical or chemistry discipline with at least 5 years demonstrated postdoctoral experience of mass-spectrometry / nuclear magnetic resonance.
- Strong leadership and people management skills and experience.
- Laboratory management experience.
- Experience managing client projects.
- Ability to work within international, interdisciplinary and multicultural environment.
- A full command of written and spoken English.
- Ability to work in teams, in a fast pace environment, where information needs to be communicated, requested and shared among several key personnel.
- Start-up mentality, with the ability to work occasionally in short-term projects, with different people, with different roles, with a broad range of functions.
- Excellent communication, networking and partnership building skills.
- Ability to develop strong and lasting relationships with industrial and commercial partners.
- Ability to work under pressure meeting tight deadlines.
Working contract conditions: uncertain term employment contract starting 1st May 2017.
Working Schedule: 35 hours weekly, and the possibility to work at weekends as needed.
Working Place: CCMAR, Gambelas Campus of the University of Algarve.
Application Period: between 15 and 29 March 2017.
Selection Committee: Adelino V. M. Canário, President of the Directive Board (President), Maria de Lurdes Cristiano, Senior Researcher (Member) and Deborah Power, Senior Researcher (Member).
Application: Applicants should send their application by email between 15 and 29 March 2017, indicating the reference in the subject (Refª CCMAR/SASU/03/2017) to email@example.com . The application should include: detailed curriculum vitae, copy of PhD certificate, a motivation letter in English that should address the Responsibilities/Experience/Skills requirements and e-mail contacts of up to 3 professional referees. You should consider your application as correctly submitted only after receiving an email confirmation from CCMAR.
Selection: The candidates will be ranked based on the documents provided. Eventually a reduced number of the top ranked candidates may be interviewed.
The selection committee will exercise the right to contact and interview candidates should it require further information or clarification about their application. In the event that no applicant has the necessary profile, or the funding conditions have significantly changed since the announcement of the position, the selection committee reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment. In the event that the contract holder should resign during the contract, the jury reserves the right, upon convenience and opportunity, to assign the post to the next applicant in accordance with the ranking positions.
Results: The decision of the selection committee will be communicated in writing.
CCMAR’s non-discrimination and equal access opportunities policy – No candidate can be privileged, benefited, jeopardised or be deprived of any right or exempt of any claim in regards to descendent, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic situation, origin, social economy, genetic heritage, disability, chronic disease, nationality, ethnicity, territory of origin, language, religion, politics, ideology or union membership.